Frequently Asked Questions - FamGenix App
Diseases can run in families. It can be because of genetics or the shared lifestyle and environmental factors that come with living together (such as diet, health and lifestyle habits, exposure to toxins, etc), or a combination of both. Recording your family health history is an important first step in discovering what diseases your family is most susceptible to, and then taking proactive steps with your health to prevent the occurrence of the disease.
The app will guide you in answering health questions and adding family members. It’s important to include all living and deceased blood relatives. Under each profile, you can also mark family members as twins or designate a different mother or father for half-siblings.
For each family member, include ages (or age at death), diseases (with age of diagnosis), and genetic testing results (if any were performed). With some diseases chosen, you will be asked additional questions. If you’re not sure on any details, you can add them later. You can also invite a family member to join the app and enter family health information themselves.
It’s better to give approximate ages than to leave it blank for the most accurate assessment of disease risk. Ages can also affect whether you are qualified under health insurance to obtain further genetic counseling or genetic testing. For example, a close relative who has cancer at an early age (before age 50) can increase your cancer risk, rather than being diagnosed at a much later age.
During your initial on-boarding, the app will guide you to enter the number of family members (children, brothers/sisters, aunts/uncles). To add a family member later on:
- Go to your profile from the Dashboard, click the ‘Family’ tab, and click the green ‘+’ button in the lower right corner.
- To add children to a family member – click on the specific family member first, then click the ‘Family’ tab and then the green ‘+’ button.
You can delete any family member by clicking the ‘Delete’ button at the bottom of any person’s profile.
- Go to your profile from the Dashboard, click the ‘Family’ tab, choose a family member, then click ‘Edit’ at the top.
- Click the ‘Delete’ button at the bottom of that person’s profile.
By inviting a family member, you are sending them a copy of your personal and family health information so they don’t have to re-enter it, and they can share additional health history with you.
- You can invite a family member by clicking ‘Invite’ from the Dashboard or from a particular family member’s profile.
- You will be prompted to enter a mobile phone and email for that person to make sure it gets to the right person.
- Each family member you invite will be sent an email with instructions and a unique code that can only be used by them to sign up as part of your family.
- After installing the app, the person chooses the ‘Sign up with Invite Code?’ button on the login screen and enters the unique code.
- Family member will then receive a 6-digit code via text message at the number you provided when inviting them and will be prompted to enter it in the app to confirm it is them.
You will be sent a notification each time a family member is invited to use the app. You decide whether or not to share your health information with that family member. If you decide not to share with them, that family member will not receive updates about your health from you or any other app user in the family. You can adjust these settings at any time under ‘Sharing Settings’.
When multiple people are using the app, you will receive a notification under the ‘Family Updates’ section in the Dashboard for each change each person makes (if you choose to receive updates from that person). You can accept or reject any change. If you make any changes, notifications for each change is sent to all family members that you choose to share data with.
If you were referred to the app by your healthcare provider, and they have an account with FamGenix, they will provide you their Clinician ID so you can be connected and share your family health history with them. If this is the case and you were not given a Clinician ID, then please contact your healthcare provider to receive it.
By consenting to share data with your clinician, your clinician will receive a copy of your family health history. Any future changes you make or that you approve are also sent to the clinician.
To stop sharing with a clinician, you can simply remove them from your clinician list.
Report an Issue
Found a bug or issue while using the FamGenix app? Help us resolve the issue by giving details on how you reproduced it below. We regularly update the app and fix known bugs, so be sure you have updated to the latest version before reporting the error.